"This is a story that is often untold, and overlooked. A raw adventure of fighting the elements of illness, as a young wife and mother by seeking Jesus first. Start from the beginning, and see how the Lord can take a very broken and ill individual and bring about a truly unique LIFE and LOVE story." - BRYNN (& Jeremey and Tatum).

Friday, November 9, 2012

The name dilemma ...



No, actually, my husband and I are NOT debating on names for our son. In fact, we have had a name for a boy before Tatum was even born. We still had a week of discussion and made lists of names we liked after finding out the gender of this baby, but we kept going back to our original thought. Mainly because it was the only name that matched up on both lists, and because we couldn't really imagine him with any other name. So where does the dilemma lie??

It lies in when to reveal the name. Should we wait till he is born to announce it like last time, which drove me insane, and everyone else around me insane. Or should we reveal it soon, and take our chances with critics who will try to sway us otherwise??? (Because come on, if history repeats itself, our baby boy is not going to have a very mainstream name). Both of these options sound like torture to me.

Growing up with a very rare name, I couldn't have been more happy. Yes people mispronounced it ALL the time, people often thought it was a boy name (Brian), and it was ALWAYS misspelled by others. But I tell you what, there was  never another Brynn in my class, never another Brynn on any of my many soccer teams, I never had to go by a last initial, to differentiate me from other Brynns, and if someone said my name, there was no question who they were talking about. I guess you take the good with the bad.

As for my own children I hope to do the same, understanding that NO MATTER WHAT the name, traditional, unique, wacky, whatever, that there are always going to be critics and haters. If I named him Bob I would have people asking why, probably just as much as if I named him artichoke (well maybe not AS much, but you get my point.) We love his name, we say it all the time, and already have a primary nick name for him, but the last thing either of us want to do is reveal it too early, and have that one random persons less than positive comment, make us think twice about our choice.

What would you do?

5 comments:

  1. Ooo, that is quite the dilemma. LIke you, we waited until Adelaide was born before announcing her name. WIth Cadence, (or Emery...LOL) we told our family and close friends once we decided on her name, and then the rest of the world once she was born. In our opinion, the people we told know us well enough not to rain on our parade, unless they had a really, REALLY good reason to. That's what worked for us! Good luck in your decision and I CANNOT WAIT to hear what your little man's name is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I loved Leilani's name and didn't care what people had to say. I told people as soon as we found out she was a girl what her name was going to be. Actually, we had a boy and girl name picked out beforehand and had told people the two options. Thankfully there was only one person who found something to make fun of with it and it was something really dumb and messed up that I don't think anyone else would ever even think of. I think you should share! And then don't worry about what people say. It's your baby boy, not theirs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite the dilemma. With Lyla, we didn't pick her name until a week before she was born, so that was easy. With Cody, we chose his name about a month before and announced it to family. We didn't get any negative comments though...probably because it's a fairly common name. With the next little munchkin, we already have a boy and girl name picked out, but just like you guys we are not sure when (or IF) we will announce it. I have a hard time keeping things secret, so most likely I will tell the name early.

    Here's my thought on the negative comments though: let people know how much you love the name and how you guys are set on it. How can people who care about you say anything bad after that? And if someone does say something negative...WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THEM???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do share the name! Let others share in your joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for sharing the name! :) But then I already told you that. If people are going to be negative about the name, they will be even if you hold off til after the baby is born. Everyone has opinions. Don't let it get to you. It's not anyone else's baby but yours and Jeremy's!!!! If someone doesn't like the name, that's their problem.

    ReplyDelete